Monday, March 4, 2013

Everything But the Kitchen Sink...


I don't really post much about cookies.  In fact, I think there might only be one cookie recipe here.  That is not to say that I don't bake cookies, because I LOVE to bake cookies, but they are usually just your everyday chocolate chip variety.  Maybe a peanut butter or an oatmeal here and there.  I did bake some, can I just say it, ridiculously good peppermint bark shortbread cookies over the holidays, and although my intentions were to get them onto the blog, well....you know how it goes.  Maybe next Christmas.  Or maybe a Christmas in July post...hmmm...that sounds like a good plan...

ANYWAY....THESE cookies...happened by chance.  I was cleaning out my pantry a couple of weeks ago, and was going through my baking supplies left over from the holidays.  I had a handful of white chocolate chips in one bag, some dark chocolate in another, as well as a few wrapped caramels.  Oh, and also some toffee baking bits.  A real hodge podge....not enough, individually, for any one recipe.  But what if I put them ALL into ONE batch of cookies?

           So, that's what I did.  I threw all those leftovers into a bowl...mixed 'em all up....


                                                Put them into a very simple cookie recipe....


                                                      And....this is what I ended up with!



                                                     
                                                          Yes, please....with milk!!
                                                       

Everything But the Kitchen Sink Cookies

Ingredients:
3/4 cup white sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar (I used dark)
1 cup softened butter (you could use margarine, but, no offense...yuck. lol)
1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 large egg
2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2-2 cups of whatever baking chips you want!  Go crazy!
*Btw...the cut the caramels into fourths

Directions:  Cream the butter and the sugar together in the bowl of a stand mixer (or however you normally make your cookies).  Beat the egg and vanilla lightly in a small bowl and then add to the butter and sugar.  Combine well.  Whisk the flour and baking soda together in another bowl, then add to the mixer. Combine.  Add your baking chips and mix with a wooden spoon.

Now, here is where you need some self-control and patience.  I have found that cookies turn out so much better if you refrigerate the dough for at least 2 hours, even better if it's overnight.  I almost never go overnight....my patience and self-control has it's limits.

So, now after your dough is refrigerated, and you are going crazy to get your cookies made, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.  Drop the cookies onto parchment paper lined cookie sheets (I like to use a cookie scoop) and bake for about 10-11 minutes.  Let cool for a minute or two on the cookie sheets and then remove to a wire rack.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh, those sound DELICIOUS!!!