Friday, December 7, 2012

Peppermint Mocha Cupcakes and Christmas Cheer...

I have really been having a difficult time getting into the Christmas mood this year.  I don't know if it's because it seems like it came up sooo fast, or because I have been really busy and getting my house all Christmasy is seeming like another chore I need to complete, or possibly because it is STILL SO STINKIN' WARM HERE!!  I'm thinking it's a combination of these things.  At any rate, I needed to get myself into the mood and quick.  So I made some Peppermint Mocha Cupcakes!   Peppermint mocha lattes from Starbucks just scream Christmas to me, so why not a cupcake version?  Besides, food always makes things better anyway, right?

I have had the idea for these cupcakes on my mind since last Christmas, but never got around to putting it together.  If you love mint and chocolate together, then this is the cupcake for you.  The cake is so chocolatey and minty,with a hint of coffee, topped with vanilla butter cream frosting, chocolate ganache, and crushed candy canes.  You could even put a bit of peppermint extract into the frosting, if you so desired, but I thought it was perfect without.  And I noticed that after a day or two, the crushed candy canes kind of became melty and the mint flavor seeped into the frosting, which didn't look as pretty anymore, but sure did taste good!

And guess what?  After treating myself to one bite (ok, a little more than that) along with a mug of hot cocoa (ok, it was a glass of wine)....I was in the Christmas spirit!  I finished decorating my house, we put the Christmas lights up, and I can't wait to get on with the rest of the season.  Now, I'm not guaranteeing you will have this result, but if you are having some trouble getting into the holiday mood, bake these!  It's worth a shot, right?

P.S.  I did not get around to taking some nice pictures of these cupcakes, so you will have to settle for the one I took with my phone...sorry.  :)



Peppermint Mocha Cupcakes

Cupcake
Ingredients:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup + 2Tbsp sugar
1/3 cup + 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 t salt
1/2 cup butter, melted and warm
2 large eggs
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 Tbsp instant coffee crystals (I used Starbucks Via)
1/2 cup brewed coffee
1/2 cup Andes Creme de Menthe baking chips

Instructions:
Combine the melted butter, eggs, and vanilla in a mixing bowl and beat for a minute or so on medium speed. In another bowl, combine the flour, coffee crystals, cocoa, sugar, baking soda, and salt.  Add the dry ingredients to the butter and egg mixture, combine and beat for about 20-30 seconds.  Scrape the sides of the bowl, add the hot coffee, and beat for another 20-30 seconds until the batter is smooth.  Fill cupcake liners about 2/3 full and bake at 350 degrees for 18-20 minutes.  Watch them carefully, and check them around the 16 minute mark.  I have found this recipe to be one that has a very fine line between done and overdone!  Remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes in the pan.  Cool completely on a wire rack.

Buttercream Frosting
Ingredients
2 sticks unsalted butter,  at room temperature
4-5 cups powdered sugar
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
3-4 Tbsp whipping cream or milk

Instructions:
Beat the butter in the bowl of a stand mixer until creamy.  Add 4 cups of powdered sugar, about 1/2 cup at a time, and beat well.  Add the vanilla and incorporate.  Add the whipping cream, one tablespoon at a time, until reaching your desired consistency.  Frost cupcakes your favorite way and decorate as desired.  I drizzled them with chocolate ganache and crushed candy canes.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I will have to remember these for this year! They sound AMAZING!

Renate said...

@Diana Kritinar- I love these cupcakes! One of my favorite flavor combos! You definitely should make them. :)