Saturday, June 15, 2013

Candy Bomb Cupcakes

So, unless you've been living under a rock for the past few months, or aren't on Facebook, or actually have a life, you have heard of the game Candy Crush Saga.  In a nutshell, it's a puzzle game played via your phone or Facebook in which you use combinations of colored candies to clear the board and advance levels.

Those of you who know me well, know that I'm really not a video game person.  When my children try to talk to me about games they play, I'm pretty sure my eyes glaze over.  Even when I was a kid myself, in the 80's, at the height of the video arcade days, I did not enjoy playing these games.  I did enjoy GOING to the arcade, but I'm sure that was more about the boys to be found in these establishments and less about the games.  Our family does have a Wii system and I can count on two fingers the number of times I've actually played it in the three plus years it has been in our home.  So, to sum up...me...not a game person.

Then it happened.  About 5 weeks ago I sprained my ankle while running.  For the first couple of weeks I had quite a bit of down time while trying to heal.  I read, watched some tv, and Facebooked from my phone.  I kept seeing my friends playing this Candy Crush game and I kept getting requests to play.  I will admit that in the past, I was one of those people who got quite annoyed by all the Farmville, etc., requests that I would get on Facebook.  But, as I was spending time on the couch, being bored, trying to keep from eating plates of brownies...I caved.  I downloaded the app, just to check it out.  That was about 3 weeks ago.  And I'm a goner.  Sucked in to the Candy Crush game playing world.  I don't know why it's so addicting, but it is.  The colorful game boards, the sounds of the candy being crushed.  It's really fun!!

So, when my friend, Caroline, sent me a link to this blog post, and asked me...no, BEGGED me, to make Candy Bomb cupcakes, well, of course I had to.  (Actually, I should mention that the candy bomb is THE candy you want in Candy Crush Saga.  It is made by getting 5 of the same candies in a row and it obliterates every candy of the same color that you pair it with.)  This is what I ended up with....




I think they are so stinkin' adorable!   I don't know about you, but I think sprinkles are a ton of fun anyway.  And when you cover your cupcake in them, it's even more fun.  So, go bake your favorite cupcakes (I made  minis), put a blob of your favorite frosting on top (I used a large round  piping tip to put a heap o' frosting on mine) and then roll 'em around like crazy in your favorite sprinkles.  Super fun.

And on a final note, just a brief PSA from me to you:  Stay away from Candy Crush Saga.  It's highly addictive and a major time suck.  I'm fairly certain I need an intervention followed by a 12-step program.  For real.  LOL!



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Just saw these! Love them!!!

Renate said...

Thanks, Diana! I think these were the most fun cupcakes I've made in a long time!