Friday, May 11, 2012

Root Beer Float Cupcakes

I realize that what I'm getting ready to say here will not be very popular....try not to hate me for being honest.   I don't like root beer.  Can't stand the taste...not in soda, candy (not even jelly beans),  not even with ice cream in it.  I just.  Don't.  Like it.  That being said,  I do love my family.  And they love root beer....particularly root beer floats.  So making these cupcakes was an act of love on my part...to make them happy.  :)

I tried to make root beer float cupcakes last summer with a recipe I found in a magazine.  The cupcakes were yellow cake and the root beer flavor came from root beer extract, so the flavor was very strong.  I also tried making a vanilla frosting with actual ice cream in it, which, in theory sounds like an excellent idea.  The execution of said idea...not as excellent, in my opinion.  Overall, not a keeper.

This time around, I found a recipe on a fun blog called Mis-Cakes: Oven Adventures.  Her recipe used a chocolate cake with root beer soda in it...much better idea.  Turns out she had the same bad fortune I did when attempting her ice cream frosting.  It's pretty funny to read about.  In the end, I just used vanilla buttercream frosting, which worked out great.  Then the kids and I topped them with a red gumball and a little plastic straw.  So cute and fun!  Almost made me forget that I don't like root beer.  :)




Root Beer Float Cupcakes
{makes about 2 dozen}

What you need:
2 cups of root beer (any kind...I used A&W)
1 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 eggs

What to do:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.  Line cupcake pans with paper liners (I used white portion cups, which I thought looked cute!).  In a heavy pot, over medium-high heat, heat the butter, root beer, and cocoa until the butter is melted.  Add both the sugars and whisk until dissolved.  Remove pan from the heat and set aside to cool.

Whisk the flour, soda, and salt in a bowl.  Set aside.  Whisk the eggs in a medium bowl until just beaten;  whisk into the cooled root beer mixture until combined.  Gently fold the flour mixture into the root beer mixture.  Don't over beat.  The batter will be lumpy but that's okay.  Fill the liners about 2/3 full and bake for 14-17 minutes.  Cool for about 10 minutes in pans and then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.

{Source:Mis-Cakes: Oven Adventures}


Vanilla Buttercream Frosting

3 sticks of unsalted butter, at room temperature
4 1/2 cups of powdered sugar
6 T  heavy whipping cream or milk
1 T pure vanilla extract

Beat the butter in the bowl of a stand mixer until creamy, about 5 minutes.  Add the vanilla and beat to combine.  Add the powdered sugar gradually, mixing well after each addition.  Add the whipping cream or milk one tablespoon at a time, until reaching your desired consistency.  Frost cupcakes however you like!  I used a pastry bag with a Wilton 2D piping tip.



2 comments:

Lisa Carroll said...

I DON'T LIKE ROOT BEER EITHER! I know, I'm shouting, sorry. LOL But I've always thought I was weird because EVERYONE I know loves it! I can now sleep at night knowing that I'm not the only one who can't stand it, or any of its derivatives. Thank you, Renate. ;)

That said, these looks SUPER yummy! If you like root beer! LOL

Renate said...

It's always nice to know you're not alone.

P.S. Don't tell anyone, but I feel the same way about licorice and circus peanuts (the orange ones).