Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Perfectly Chocolate Cupcakes

Finally.  I am finally posting a recipe for a totally chocolate cupcake.  And seriously...they are good.  If you are one of those people who frequently finds themselves thinking a dessert is too rich, or too sweet, or too much anything, this cupcake is so not for you.  You might as well just stop reading right now!  But, if you are like me, and adore anything rich and full of all kinds of chocolate goodness, I think you are going to love these cupcakes.

I have experimented with quite a few chocolate cake recipes and have liked many of them.  But for some reason, I just couldn't find one that tasted exactly like I wanted it to.  These cupcakes are rich and moist, and I see no reason to look any further.  These are my "go to" chocolate forever and ever.  I'm sure you are wondering, "Where, oh, where did she get this amazing recipe?!"  Well, I'm going to tell you.  It is right on the Hershey's Cocoa can.  Under my nose.  All along.  Go figure.

I followed the recipe pretty much exactly as shown on the can (or on Hershey's Kitchen) with just a couple of alterations.  I used hot coffee in place of the boiling water (I have tried it both ways and prefer the coffee) and (now, this will just be our secret) I used Ghiradelli cocoa powder.  I frosted them with a yummy chocolate buttercream (oh, yes, also from the Hershey's can), drizzled them with chocolate ganache, and topped them with dark chocolate curls.  Chocolate heaven.  I hope you love them as much as I do.




Perfectly Chocolate Cupcakes
   {makes about 30}

Ingredients:
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
3/4 cup cocoa powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp kosher salt
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 cup hot coffee

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.  Line cupcake pans with paper liners.  Sift the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.  Mix on low speed until combined.

In another bowl, combine the milk, oil, eggs, and vanilla.

With the mixer on low speed , slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry.  Add the coffee and stir to combine, scraping down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.

Fill the paper liners about 2/3 full and bake for 17-20 minutes.  Cool in pans for about 5 minutes and then remove cupcakes to a wire rack to cool completely.

Perfectly Chocolate Frosting

Ingredients:
1 stick of unsalted butter
2/3 cup cocoa powder
4 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup milk
1 tsp pure vanilla extract

Melt the butter in a small bowl.  Add the cocoa and mix until combined.  Pour into the bowl of a mixer.  Alternate the powdered sugar and milk, beating well.  Add the vanilla and mix well.

{P.S.  I made two batches of the frosting to cover all 30 cupcakes.}

Chocolate Ganache Drizzle

3.5 ounces of semi-sweet chocolate squares
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream

Chop the chocolate finely and place in a heat proof bowl.  Heat the whipping cream in a heavy sauce pan on medium heat until it just starts to boil.  Pour cream over the chocolate and allow to sit for one minute.  Using a rubber spatula, mix the cream and chocolate until smooth.  Let the ganache sit and cool until it reaches a drizzling consistency.  You can put it in the refrigerator to speed  this process, but watch it carefully because it will get hard before you know it!  Place the cooled ganache in a pastry bag fitted with a small round tip and drizzle onto the tops of the cupcakes.

Garnish the cupcakes with chocolate curls, if you would like!

No comments: