Monday, July 16, 2012

Pink Lemonade Cupcakes

There are few things that say "summer" like lemonade does.  It just sounds so cool and refreshing.  Especially this summer, when it seems like so many places around the country are just sweltering hot.  My kids love pink lemonade.  They would drink gallons of it a day if I would let them.  So, when my friend, Gina, mentioned to me that she had seen a recipe for pink lemonade cupcakes on Pinterest....well, you know I had to go check it out!

I actually went through several recipes on the internet and just couldn't find one that sounded like what I wanted to do.  Then finally, I found it.  On a previously unknown to me blog called Let Them Eat Cake.  I thought her recipe sounded great and the pictures looked so pretty.

The first time I attempted the recipe we had just returned home from a trip up to Pinetop, Arizona with the family.  The whole ride home I was going over in my head how awesome they were going to be.  Well, that wasn't to be the case.  They were tough and a little bit sticky.  The toughness due to over mixing probably, and the stickiness due a last minute decision to brush the tops of the cupcakes with some left over pink lemonade concentrate.  I thought it would amp up the flavor, but alas, it only made them sticky.  Oh, well...you never know until you try, right?!  But, I took them to potluck at church the next day, anyway!  And that night I tried it again!  (Those of you who know me best are thinking, "Yep.  That sounds about right.")

Second time around....much better!  Soft and moist, non-sticky cupcakes with a great pink lemonade flavor, and really yummy pink lemonade buttercream frosting.  So good.  So summery.  So necessary for you to make.  Soon.






Pink Lemonade Cupcakes
{makes about 24}

Ingredients

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
5 egg whites
3/4 cup frozen pink lemonade concentrate, thawed
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp buttermilk
lemon zest
Red or pink food coloring ( I used Americolor Electric Pink)

Directions

1.  Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.  Line your cupcakes tins with paper liners.  In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until blended.  Set aside.
2.  In the bowl of a stand mixer, using the paddle attachment, mix together the sugar, oil, egg whites, pink lemonade concentrate, lemon zest, and vanilla until well combined.
3. Add about 1/3 of the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and mix until combined.  Add about 1/2 of the buttermilk and mix until combined.
4.  Continue to alternately add the flour mixture and the buttermilk and mix until combined well.  Don't over mix (remember those tough cupcakes!).
5.  Add 1-2 drops of food coloring and mix.
6.  Fill your cupcake liners about 2/3 full of batter and bake for 15-18 minutes.  Remove from oven and cool in pans for about 5 minutes.  Remove from pans to completely cool on a rack before frosting.

Pink Lemonade Buttercream Frosting

Ingredients

1 cup softened butter
4 cups powdered sugar
6T pink lemonade concentrate
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
red or pink food coloring

Directions

Beat the softened butter in the bowl of a stand mixer until creamy.  Add powdered sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, and beat well, scraping down the sides of bowl as needed.  Add vanilla and lemonade concentrate, mix combined.  Add 1-2 drops of food coloring and continue to beat until smooth.  Fill a pastry bag, fitted with your favorite decorating tip, and pipe the frosting onto the cooled cupcakes.  I also decorated my cupcakes with a piece of Sour Patch Watermelon candy  and a cute pink straw from Bake It Pretty!


{source of recipe Let Them Eat Cake}

No comments: