Monday, October 17, 2011

Pumpkin Spiced Cupcakes

I miss fall.  After 26+ years living in Arizona, fall...a REAL fall...is what I miss the most about living in Michigan.  You know...the leaves changing colors, the crispness in the air, the smell of fires burning.  THAT kind of fall.  We don't get that here in Arizona, but that doesn't stop me from pretending!  And the best way to get into a fall kind of mood is to bake something that smells like fall.  Something like pumpkin spiced cupcakes!

These cupcakes have been on my "to do list" for a while, but I kept thinking I would wait until it cooled down just a bit before making them.  Well, that is just not happening, so I decided to make them anyway.  Who cares if it is still 100 degrees outside, right?

Usually, I like to use fresh pumpkin when I'm baking, but truthfully I just didn't have the patience for it this time.  I wanted quick and simple.  So I used Libby's canned pumpkin and they turned out just as yummy as if I had used fresh.  That Libby knows her stuff.  :)


Pumpkin Spiced Cupcakes
{makes about 24 cupcakes}

What you need:
For the cupcakes:
2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp salt
1 (15 oz) can pumpkin
1 cup sugar
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 cup canola or vegetable oil
4 large eggs

For the frosting:
8oz cream cheese
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
4 cups powdered sugar
1 tbsp milk

What to do:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.  Line your cupcake pans with paper liners.  In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves.  Set aside.  In the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, blend together the pumpkin, white sugar, brown sugar, and oil.  Add in the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.  With the mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture in two additions, mixing until just incorporated.

Fill cupcake liners about 2/3-3/4 full.  Bake about 18-20 minutes, or until the cupcakes are golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.  Cool in pans for about 10 minutes, then remove cupcakes to wire rack to cool completely.

To make the frosting, beat the butter and cream cheese in the bowl of an electric mixer on medium-high speed until smooth, about 2-3 minutes.  Blend in the vanilla.  Slowly beat in the powdered sugar, about 1/4 cup at a time, until fully incorporated.  Beat in the milk.  Increase the speed and beat until smooth.  Frost cupcakes as desired.  I sprinkled the tops of the cupcakes with a little bit of cinnamon, but that is optional...I just thought it looked pretty.  :)

{Adapted from: Annie's Eats}

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I will try these this weekend! Thanks for sharing!

Renate said...

We loved them. Hope you do, too!

Laura said...

I need to try these.

Renate said...

Definitely try them, Laura! If you love pumpkin, you will love these cupcakes. I have had a lot of positive feedback about them...and I happen to love them, too!

Renate said...

Definitely try them, Laura! If you love pumpkin, you will love these cupcakes. I have had a lot of positive feedback about them...and I happen to love them, too!